My Snapshot!

 

WSPA My Snapshot Opening Activity
Winston-Salem Preparatory Academy • Opening Activity

My Snapshot

A simple first-day activity that helps students introduce themselves, share what matters to them, and begin building a stronger classroom community.

Purpose

Students introduce themselves while sharing their personality, interests, and one goal for the year.

Materials

Pencil and paper only. No technology needed.

Time

15 minutes from directions to closing reflection.

Classroom Community Starts Here

Every student has a story, a strength, and a goal. This activity gives students a safe way to share a piece of themselves.

My name matters.

Say it correctly. Say it proudly.

My interests matter.

Music, art, sports, family, gaming, and more.

Our class matters.

We build community one connection at a time.

Teacher Directions

Say:

“Today, we are going to do a quick activity called My Snapshot. You will create a one-page introduction about yourself. You do not have to be an artist. Stick figures, symbols, words, and short phrases are all fine. The goal is for us to learn something about each other and start building a strong classroom community.”

↑ Back to top

Student Paper Setup

Students fold or divide their paper into four boxes. Each box should include words, symbols, or a simple drawing.

Box 1: My Name

Write your name the way you want people to say it.

Optional: Add the correct pronunciation.

Box 2: Something I Like

Draw or write one thing you enjoy.

Examples: music, sports, games, cooking, family, fashion, reading, technology, art, anime, and cars.

Box 3: Something People Should Know About Me

Write one sentence about yourself.

  • One thing people should know about me is…
  • I work best when…
  • I am proud that…
  • I may be quiet at first, but…
  • Something that matters to me is…

Box 4: My Goal This Year

Write one school or personal goal.

  • This year, I want to improve in…
  • One goal I have is…
  • I want my teachers to help me by…
  • I want to become better at…

↑ Back to top

Example Final Snapshot

Show this example before students begin. Remind them that their final paper can use words, symbols, simple drawings, or short phrases.

1. My Name

Jasmin R.

Pronounced: JAZ-min

2. Something I Like

🎧 🏀 🎨

I like music, basketball, and drawing shoes.

3. Know About Me

I may be quiet at first, but I like working with people once I feel comfortable.

4. My Goal

This year, I want to improve in math and ask for help before I get frustrated.

Closing sentence: One connection I found with someone today was that someone else likes basketball and music too.

↑ Back to top

Sharing Options

After students finish, have them choose one low-risk sharing option.

Option A

Share with a partner.

Option B

Share one box with the class.

Option C

Have the teacher read one selected box aloud without naming the student.

↑ Back to top

15-Minute Timing Guide

2 Minutes

Explain the activity.

6 Minutes

Students complete their snapshot.

5 Minutes

Partner or small-group sharing.

2 Minutes

Closing reflection.

↑ Back to top

Closing Reflection

Ask students to write one final sentence at the bottom of the paper:

Option 1: One connection I found with someone today was…

Option 2: One thing I learned about a classmate today was…

“Introductions are not just about names. They are about learning how to see each other as people. The better we know each other, the stronger this class can become.”

↑ Back to top

Rooted in Excellence, Growing Toward Greatness!

Every student has a story, a strength, and a goal. Let’s start the year by making those connections count.

Popular posts from this blog

WSPA Opening Activites

Virtual Academy Handbook

Arrival & Dismissal: Safe and Smooth for 26-27